A trip to the observation tower Žalý
Front hilltop Zaly (1019 m n. M.) Between Benecko and Vrchlabí It belonged since the early 19th century to popular tourist targets because of the beautiful view of the Giant Mountains. The first simple wooden tower, or rather sighting point here was built in 1836. A popular prospect outgrown the forest and in 1888 established the association Riesengebirge-Verein from Vrchlabí metallic observation tower with a height of 15 meters. Besides the lookout let Jan Count Harrach build 1890 wooden tourist restaurant with veranda. Metal tower was after only 4 years in disrepair and district marshal ordered its demolition.
Access to the tower is walking the red trail from Benecko. Another option is to use the chair lift from Herlíkovice. The last of the big repairs observation tower took place in 2012.
Source and photo: Tourist portal Vrchlabí